Church of the Holy Great Martyr Demetrius of Thessalonica

Download laser 3D scanning data

Church of the Holy Great Martyr Demetrius of Thessalonica, year 1629. It is located in Pechenizhyn city, Kolomyia county.
In 1629, the wooden side of the church was attached to the small old chapel at the bottom of the Pecenijin locality. This church, part of the present complex, was moved from Kyiv in pieces and assembled here by local tranters, who brought salt from the Carpathians. They also covered it with weatherboard, over which later sheets of metal were placed.
During World War II the church of St. Demetrius, especially its roof, were damaged by bullets and projectile splinters.
The oldest is the iconostasis, which comprises the “Nativity of Christ” icon, that dates back to the 17th century. The icons on the iconostasis have been preserved intact and on the dome of the altar were restored the images of the four cherubim, covered until then by a thick layer of paint.
In 2008-2009, the place of worship was capital rehabilitated, all the crosses on its domes being replaced. Then the bell tower was restored, for which 3 new bells were purchased.

Interesting nearby:

“This website has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union or of the Joint Operational Programme Romania-Ukraine 2014-2020 management structures”.
The Joint Operational Programme Romania-Ukraine 2014-2020 is financed by the European Union through the European Neighbourhood Instrument and co-financed by the participating countries in the Programme.