The memorial house of Ciprian Porumbescu is a memorial museum created in an original annex of the old parish house from the village of Ciprian Porumbescu. Porumbescu family lived in the church house of Stupca between 1865 and 1884, here resting the great composer each time he came to visit his parents in Stupca. The house was built of wood at the end of XXth century. In 1865, the priest Iraclie Porumbescu was transferred as parish priest in the village of Stupca, working there as a priest until the 1884. Here, he lived in a church house at the periphery of the village, near the pasture. The church house was made of wood and had four large rooms, separated by a porch and having a veranda. Beside this, it was also a smaller house with two rooms, one of them being the kitchen, and the other the parish chancellery, where the priest received its parishioners and he wrote papers and letters for them. Ciprian Porumbescu (1853-1883), the son of the priest Iraclie, was no longer staying with his family when his father was transferred to Stupca, he being a pupil at Suceava Midlle School and living in a house on Prunului street no.1. Still, the three brothers (Ciprian, Stephen and Mărioara) spent their summer holiday at Stupca. Ciprian played the violin, Mioara the piano, and Stephen had a baritone voice. When he came to the village, Ciprian Porumbescu met Berta Gorgon, the daughter of the evangelic pastor of Ilișești, with who he fell in love. Berta’s parents refused to give them their approval for their marriage, because of the fact that Berta and Ciprian were of different confessions. Severely suffering from tuberculosis following the harsh detention, he comes back to Stupca in 1883, where he is taken cared by the family. He died at the church house in the village on the 6th of June 1883 and was buried three days later in the village cemetery, near his mother. The church house of Stupca was demolished, only the building housing the kitchen and the chancellery being kept. In this peasant home, situated in an orchard and which was similar to those in that area, it was arranged in 1953 „Ciprian Porumbescu” Memorial house. The memorial house has two rooms, a hallway and a veranda. In the two rooms of the house it was organised a primary exhibition, „Ciprian Porumbescu” containing authentic exhibits (objects that belonged to the family, the piano of Mărioara Rațiu – Popescu, the composer’s sister, etc.) with an impressive evocative force, recreating the atmosphere of the period, mostly rustic, specific to the environment in which the great Romanian composer Ciprian Porumbescu lived and created.
The “Ciprian Porumbescu” Memorial Museum
The “Ciprian Porumbescu” Memorial Museum – monument of national value.
The Museum of Popular Customs from Bukovina
The Museum of Popular Customs from Bukovina – monument of local value.