St. Valentine’s Parish Catholic Church

Download laser 3D scanning data

St. Valentine’s Parish Catholic Church, 15th century. Located in: Kalush city, Taras Shevchenko Street, no. 10.
The church is situated in the central area of Kalush, being its hallmark. This place is the first stone construction in the city, which has been preserved to this day. In all of Ukraine, there is only one edifice similar to the Catholic church in Kalush- in Hlinna Navaria, Lviv region.
Two wooden catholic churches were built in the 15th century. The first documentary attestation of the Catholic church of St. Mary Magdalene in Kalush dates from 1464. In 1695 the church of St. Valentine (like St. Mary Magdalene) was demolished, on this place being built a new church, partly with a stone wall. In 1764 a new wooden shrine dedicated to St. Valentine was erected on a stone foundation. Its construction was finally completed in 1845. The architecture of the new stone house was made in neo-Gothic style.
A thorough repair was done in 1903 and later two renovations were carried out between 1910 and 1912. According to the project, two chapels were built, side altars, the roof was replaced, a tower and other existing details were added.
During the military operations of 1917 a chapel was destroyed, and the bells and part of the pipe organ were dismantled. The church was renovated in 1921. Before the Second World War a new main altar appeared in the church, and the church was electrified. After the war, the church was used as a gym, later being transferred to the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church. Since 1999 the church belongs to the Roman Catholic parish and in 2001 went through a repair.

Interesting nearby:

“This website has been produced with the assistance of the European Union. The contents of this publication are the sole responsibility of Ivano-Frankivsk National Technical University of Oil and Gas and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Union or of the Joint Operational Programme Romania-Ukraine 2014-2020 management structures”.
The Joint Operational Programme Romania-Ukraine 2014-2020 is financed by the European Union through the European Neighbourhood Instrument and co-financed by the participating countries in the Programme.